For most North Americans, The Bahamas is a place for incredible Caribbean island vacations. However, a growing number of Americans and Canadians are discovering that The Bahamas is also a great place to lose weight. While The Bahamas is known for beautiful white sand beaches, tropical breezes and blue ocean waters, for individuals who are overweight or suffer from morbid obesity, an affordable medical vacation in The Bahamas can be the first step towards healthy weight loss.
Today, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese. This health condition, which affects people on both a physical and emotional level, can be remedied for many individuals who are committed to making a change. If an individual has a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 35 and has been unable to achieve his or her desired weight through a variety of traditional weight loss methods including diet and exercise, bariatric surgery may be a good option. And in The Bahamas, bariatric surgery may cost less than comparable procedures in the U.S.
At the Bahamas Medical Center, located in New Providence, Bahamas, English speaking, specialty-certified surgeons perform the latest bariatric procedures. Led by Dr. Charles Diggiss, a pioneer who introduced laparoscopic general surgery in 1993 to the Bahamas and the LapBand in 1998, the team of highly-regarded surgeons at Bahamas Medical Center is dedicated to helping increase their patients’ quality of life while providing them with a healthy new start.
Dr. Diggiss currently serves as Chief Medical Officer at Doctors Hospital and Bahamas Medical Center and specializes in advanced laparoscopic applications including gastric bariatric surgery. The team includes Dr. Bernie Hanna, a highly-skilled surgeon who specializes in laparoscopic gastric band and gastric sleeve surgery. Dr. Brendon Curtis is also a highly-respected general surgeon who specializes in advanced laparoscopy and bariatric surgery. Dr. Curtis also offers the gastric band, gastric bypass and gastric sleeve procedures.
Together, this team of experienced bariatric surgeons offers a variety of weight loss surgeries through the Bahamas Medical Center:
- Laparoscopic gastric banding (LAGB) – Dr. Diggiss, Dr. Hanna and Dr. Curtis A procedure that positions an adjustable belt around the upper stomach, which constricts to limit the amount of food that the stomach can hold.
- Laparoscopic gastric sleeve (LSG) – Dr. Diggiss, Dr. Hanna and Dr. Curtis A procedure in which 60%-85% of the stomach is removed and the remaining portion acts as a sleeve that restricts the amount of food the stomach can hold.
- Laparoscopic gastric plication (LGCP) – Dr. Diggiss One of the most popular procedures, which reduces the effective capacity of the stomach by 70% by in-folding the greater curvature of the stomach with stitches. There is no cutting, rerouting, banding or adjustments.
- Laparoscopic banded plication (LGCP) – Dr. Diggiss Provides the benefits of a banded upper stomach pouch with a plicated (reduced) lower stomach capacity
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass (LRYGP) – Dr. Curtis and Dr. Diggiss The classical common procedure combining the small upper stomach pouch with a diversion mal-absorptive procedure
“For the right patient, bariatric surgery can be life altering,” said Barry Rassin, President of Doctors Hospital Health System and Bahamas Medical Center. “Here at Bahamas Medical Center, our surgeons understand the feelings, concerns and issues that many patients face when making a decision to pursue weight loss surgery. This is why we make it our mission to provide our patients with a comfortable environment and a supportive team that will be with our patients every step of the way on their journey to a healthier life.”
The Bahamas Medical Center has an outstanding International Patient Program for any individual traveling from outside The Bahamas for treatment. Their International Patient Coordinators are available around the clock to answer any questions about the facility, address concerns about international travel and to arrange a consultation with a surgeon to discuss treatment options.
At the Bahamas Medical Center, international patients receive VIP treatment. From the moment of arrival, patients are assigned a personal concierge to coordinate every appointment and pre- and post-surgical care. The concierge will also organize patient travel arrangements to explore all of the beauty that the Bahamas have to offer, from enjoying the stunning warm Caribbean beaches to tasting the best local cuisine.
To speak with an International Patient Coordinator about scheduling your medical vacation, please call toll-free at (866) 277-5054 or visit www.BahamasMedicalCenter.com.